New MSG Game: Eccentric Y
Mark Steere
2009-11-01 20:30:30 UTC
New MSG Game: Eccentric Y
http://www.marksteeregames.com/Eccentric_Y_rules.pdf

Do the two MSG games, Eccentric Y and Hex Hex Y, solve Bill Taylor's
"perennial problem"?

Let's see:

"(a) to make a connection game on a Hex-hex board,"

Check.

"(b) which is win/loss complementary, (like Hex, Atoll, and Y),"

Check.

"(c) whose winning criterion includes some sort of Y connection,"

Check.

"(d) but EXcludes winning merely by crossing between opposite sides."

Check.

"Various attempts have been made."

Check.

"No move shall be made that physically prohibits the construction
of a Y-group by the opponent, unless that move immediately
wins for the player".

A tad cumbersome and a direct consequence of condition (b), but yes,
Check.

"The dream of finding a game to satisy all of (a) to (d) above is
chimerical."

Definition of "chimerical":
1. unreal; imaginary; visionary
2. wildly fanciful; highly unrealistic

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. The two MSG games I released
in the last four days seem to satisfy all the criteria. Why this is a
"perennial problem" for Bill Taylor is beyond me. Maybe he just
doesn't have the nuts.

-Mark

Mark Steere Games
http://www.marksteeregames.com
Bill Taylor
2009-11-02 06:15:53 UTC
C'mon Mark, this isn't up to your usual standard!

I'm sure you can be more foul-mouthed, stupid and kindergarten than
THIS!
Mark Steere
2009-11-02 12:15:10 UTC
Post by Bill Taylor
C'mon Mark, this isn't up to your usual standard!
I'm sure you can be more foul-mouthed, stupid and kindergarten than
THIS!
Billy the bully is clearly upset, as expected. He doesn't like it
when people show up and start making all kinds of relevant
contributions.

-Mark

Mark Steere Games
http://marksteeregames.com
Bill Taylor
BOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooorinnnnnnggggggggggg!!!!
Mark Steere
2009-11-03 05:33:15 UTC
Post by Bill Taylor
Post by Bill Taylor
C'mon Mark, this isn't up to your usual standard!
Billy the bully is clearly upset, as expected.  He doesn't like it
when people show up and start making all kinds of relevant
contributions.
BOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooorinnnnnnggggggggggg!!!!
What, I'm supposed to entertain you now? Get a Playboy and see if you
can reach Mr. Pudley behind that sagging mound of fat.
Bill Taylor
2009-11-04 04:00:34 UTC
Mark Steere
Tough shit, moron.
Bill Taylor
2009-11-05 04:07:07 UTC
Post by Mark Steere
Tough shit, moron.
Charming as always.... ;-)
Mark Steere
2009-11-05 04:39:22 UTC
Post by Mark Steere
Tough shit, moron.
Charming as always....   ;-)
I didn't get where I am on brains alone.
Bill Taylor
2009-11-06 03:17:21 UTC
Or, at all. Clearly!
Mark Steere
2009-11-06 04:26:15 UTC
Post by Bill Taylor
Post by Mark Steere
I didn't get where I am on brains alone.
Or, at all. Clearly!
Aren't you about out of straws to grasp at? :D Poor, pathetic,
washed up crumb eater.

Incidentally, Oust (Hex Oust plus regular Oust) is currently number 3
on the monthly list at igGameCenter out of 100 games:

http://www.iggamecenter.com/stats/topplayed30.html

and number 2 on the weekly list:

http://www.iggamecenter.com/stats/topplayed7.html

-Mark

Mark Steere Games
http://marksteeregames.com
Johannes Laire
2009-11-06 08:35:09 UTC
Post by Mark Steere
Incidentally, Oust (Hex Oust plus regular Oust) is currently number 3
 http://www.iggamecenter.com/stats/topplayed30.html
 http://www.iggamecenter.com/stats/topplayed7.html
Sorry to interrupt you two, but why should these lists mean anything?
The absolute numbers are really low - a couple of players alone
could easily achieve those.

Johannes Laire
Harald Korneliussen
2009-11-06 09:10:43 UTC
Post by Johannes Laire
Post by Mark Steere
Incidentally, Oust (Hex Oust plus regular Oust) is currently number 3
 http://www.iggamecenter.com/stats/topplayed30.html
 http://www.iggamecenter.com/stats/topplayed7.html
Sorry to interrupt you two, but why should these lists mean anything?
The absolute numbers are really low - a couple of players alone
could easily achieve those.
--
Johannes Laire
And indeed, there is one player who has played more than twice as many
Oust games (of both types) as the next guy. Can you guess who?
Harald Korneliussen
2009-11-06 09:27:47 UTC
Oops, looked on the wrong table for Oust. With Oust, he hasn't quite
played twice as many games as the next guy, although still most by a
large margin.
Mark Steere
2009-11-06 17:24:02 UTC
Post by Harald Korneliussen
Oops, looked on the wrong table for Oust. With Oust, he hasn't quite
played twice as many games as the next guy, although still most by a
large margin.
I knew these stats would flush out the trembling little Vintershitz.
A committed group of igGameCenter members is advancing Oust strategy
into uncharted territory, day by day. It's not an endless procession
of one time players, Vintershitz. But I suppose I'm "convincing"
everyone to play Oust again and again, hundreds of times, right
Vintershitz?

Why can't you just admit that Oust is an extremely well thought of
game that's exploding in popularity, Vintershitz, you yapping, heel
nipping little doggy? YAP!! YAP!! YAP-YAP-YAP-YAP-YAP-YAP-YAP-YAP!!
Is it really that difficult for you to accept?

-Mark

Mark Steere Games
http://marksteeregames.com
Harald Korneliussen
2009-11-06 17:45:48 UTC
Post by Mark Steere
Why can't you just admit that Oust is an extremely well thought of
game that's exploding in popularity
Because that would be the overstatement of the decade? Really. I know
you're allergic to reality checks, but who besides yourself makes such
ludicrous claims about it?

Oh, and since you can't behave better than a kindergartener with
rabies, I've taken the liberty of suggesting a better title for your
new game. Good night.
Mark Steere
2009-11-06 18:33:41 UTC
... since you can't behave better than a kindergartener with
rabies, I've taken the liberty of suggesting a better title for your
new game. Good night.
Oh very mature, Vintershitz. Way to lead by example. What is it with
you and Bullshitting Bill, making accusations of childishness while
simultaneously pulling a childish stunt? Doesn't the glaring
hypocrisy dawn on you two?

'night 'night Vintershitz! :D

Go curl up in your little doggy bed and tremble. :D lol
Bill Taylor
2009-11-08 08:19:20 UTC
;-)
Phil Carmody
2009-11-08 11:00:24 UTC
Post by Mark Steere
YAP!! YAP!! YAP-YAP-YAP-YAP-YAP-YAP-YAP-YAP!!
;-)
IFYPFY
Any true emperor never needs to wear clothes. -- Devany on r.a.s.f1
luigi
2009-11-09 23:24:30 UTC
Just a little parenthesis in your high-level discussion ;-) :

I think Eccentric Y and Hex Hex Y are conceptually interesting games,
as are, btw, most Mark Steere's games. Both of them, and specially the
second one, are IMO interesting efforts to solve Bill Taylor's
"perennial problem", but I still prefer to simply adapt Y to a
hexagonal board, as in the game I suggested (not invented) a couple of
weeks ago under the name Yex. In that game, as you will remember,
three non-adjacent corner cells are marked, thus defining three
perimeter sections which the player must connect to win. Every said
marked cell belongs to the two "sections" it touch.
luigi

marked cell belongs to the two "sections" it touches.
Mark Steere
2009-11-10 00:04:40 UTC
Post by luigi
I think Eccentric Y and Hex Hex Y are conceptually interesting games,
as are, btw, most Mark Steere's games.
Thanks Luigi :)
Post by luigi
Both of them, and specially the
second one, are IMO interesting efforts to solve Bill Taylor's
"perennial problem", but I still prefer to simply adapt Y to a
hexagonal board, as in the game I suggested (not invented) a couple of
weeks ago under the name Yex. In that game, as you will remember,
three non-adjacent corner cells are marked, thus defining three
perimeter sections which the player must connect to win. Every said
marked cell belongs to the two "sections" it touches.
It's just Y on a different board though, right? For me it's just
about the geometry. I try to never actually play these games, though
sometimes I get pressed into it. An "improved Y" is no more appealing
to me than regular Y, which isn't very appealing.

-Mark

Mark Steere Games
http://marksteeregames.com
Luis Bolaños Mures
2023-06-17 23:21:13 UTC
Related idea:

One corner cell of the board is marked. You win if you have a chain connecting three non-consecutive edges of the board or a chain connecting two opposite edges and a third one to the side of the connecting chain that includes or touches the marked corner cell..

This might be called "Umpyr". You can imagine an umpire standing in the marked corner.
Luis Bolaños Mures
2023-06-18 00:02:16 UTC
Another way to describe the game:

Phil Carmody
2009-11-06 19:43:58 UTC
Post by Johannes Laire
Post by Mark Steere
Incidentally, Oust (Hex Oust plus regular Oust) is currently number 3
 http://www.iggamecenter.com/stats/topplayed30.html
 http://www.iggamecenter.com/stats/topplayed7.html
Sorry to interrupt you two, but why should these lists mean anything?
The absolute numbers are really low - a couple of players alone
could easily achieve those.
And indeed, there is one player who has played more than twice as many
Oust games (of both types) as the next guy. Can you guess who?
Without checking the list, I reckon Bill here is the kind of guy
who would do that, knowing that it would prompt Mark into blowing
his own trumpet here, which would then permit Bill to pop Mark's
bubble. Bill's like that, he's evil deep down ;-)

Phil
Any true emperor never needs to wear clothes. -- Devany on r.a.s.f1
Mark Steere
2009-11-06 21:06:44 UTC
Without checking the list, [snip]
No, of course not. You wouldn't want to blemish your reputation for
cluelessness.
Mark Steere
2009-11-07 00:04:24 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
Bill's like that, he's evil deep down ;-)
Congratulations. You've sickened me with the image of your oily face
stuffed between Bill Taylor's fat, sweaty butt cheeks, sealed with a
thick film of light gray, anaerobic fungus gravy.
Bill Taylor
2009-11-08 08:22:28 UTC
Post by Mark Steere
the image of your oily face
stuffed between Bill Taylor's fat, sweaty butt cheeks, sealed with a
thick film of light gray, anaerobic fungus gravy.
This man has no peer!

;-)
Mark Steere
Clean the shit out of your ears.
Bill Taylor
2009-11-08 08:23:29 UTC
;-)
Bill Taylor
2009-11-08 08:17:56 UTC
A paragon to all, Mark Steere <***@gmail.com> is rapier-
witted...
Post by Mark Steere
Aren't you about out of straws to grasp at?
and respectful...
Post by Mark Steere
Poor, pathetic, washed up crumb eater.
and modest...
;-)
Mark Steere
2009-11-05 20:11:34 UTC
  ;-)
Buckle down everyone. The dreaded winky face usually foretells a
major diaper event.